About Jestine Yong

jestine yong

My name is Jestine Yong and I love Electronics Repair. That’s the reason why I created my own blog at JestineYong.com. With over 3,700 posts and nearly years worth of content, walking you through the ups and downs, and in and outs of electronics repairing and how others are making income in electronics repair. On this blog, you’ll find my Electronic Repair experiences, tips, tricks, guide & recommendations. I’ve also written 8 repair ebooks that you can check it out HERE. Feel free to browse around the blog and absorb as much electronics repair information as you could.

By the way I’m also a lecturer and conduct electronics repair courses at Noahtech Electronics Training Center.

lecturer

Please feel free to subscribe to my newsletter below and get exclusive Electronics Repairing strategies that you cannot find here on the blog, as well as free access to my free report, How to be a successful Electronics Repairer, which has been downloaded over 60,000 times! Thanks for visiting!

Likes(130)Dislikes(5)

231 Comments

1. FEJI

September 25, 2012 at 7:33 am

what about the LCD sir thats my problem now ill still troubleshot this sony LCD 32 inch

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)

September 25, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hi Feji,

If it is a LCD TV then the problem could be bad LCD Panel or T-CON board. Before that make sure all the output voltages from the power supply and from the voltage regulator ICs are good and stable. Make sure also the LVDS cable is properly seated. Try call out the OSD menu to see if it blur or not.

Likes(4)Dislikes(0)
      • Mang C Lian

November 22, 2013 at 4:49 am

Mr. Young,
        I have a question also. One night there was thunder storm and lightning heavily and the next day our LCD tv display is not working anymore. I still can see the power led is green when TV is turned on but nothing on the screen.

Could you please advice me how I am gonna trouble shoot it.

November 22, 2013 at 11:58 am

Hi Mang,

I suggest that you check if there is any dim picture using bright torch light. If yes then most probably the inverter board have problem. It could be due to missing dc supply voltage and etc.

Likes(2)Dislikes(0)
      • RASIKA

January 12, 2014 at 12:07 pm

sir,
        I have bought two e books from you and those books are very helpful to me.. And could you give me guide lines two repair a GEM RADAR DISPLAY.. The display having problem with power on and suddenly power off..

details of lcd display
        sc 2025c/xa/6
        MLD 2004..

January 13, 2014 at 8:20 pm

HI Rasika,

I have not repair any Radar before. You mentioned that the power on and suddenly power off. I would like to ask after power off did you still get output voltages from the power supply. Could you send some photos to my email at jestineyong(at)electronicrepairguide.com at is @

Thanks.

2. louie

September 28, 2012 at 2:32 am

sr,may i know what is the replcement of tl431

September 28, 2012 at 7:35 am

Hi Louie,

No replacement for TL431. This part is easily be found in any electronics shop.

• Robert McVay

July 17, 2013 at 12:12 am

AS431 (ADTEC)
      LM431 (National Semiconductor)

July 17, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hi Robert,
        Thanks for the suggestion but he meant replacement for another part number and not from the same family. There are also S431 in the market. The best is to use the same original part number as in some power supply design even a different in the first number could cause the power supply to malfunction.

3. FEJI

September 28, 2012 at 8:06 am

ok thanks..more power god bless

feji

4. Bibhas Saha

October 8, 2012 at 7:52 am

Sir,
    I like lcd monitor repairing.I leave in India. How i can this lcd monitor repairing training . I did not fluently speak to english.Sir apka kohi training center hai india mai.(this langugae in hindi)

October 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hi BIBHAS,

For more information please visit http://www.noahtechelectronicstraining.com

5. GERMAN

October 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm

HI JESTINE I BOUGTH YOUR EBOOK 10 TRUE REPAIR CASE HISTORIES OF LCD MONITORS VOLUME 1, IT IS EXCELLENT !!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!.  I ASK ABOUT OUTPUT OF ANALOGUE MULTIMETER,THANK YOU. I WAIT FOR VOLUME 2

October 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Hi Germani,

Thanks for the support and glad that you liked the ebook. I'm still preparing the volume 2. What do you need to know about the analogue multimeter?

6. FEJI

October 13, 2012 at 5:56 am

sir me i ask again about my lcd samsung the problem was the light indicator is blinking and i found one blown capacitor 470/25v, i replaced new one but  still it's blinking.

please advice..... god  bless

October 13, 2012 at 8:42 am

Hi Feji,

Is the output voltages good and stable? If stable then the problem could be from mainboard. If not stable then you may need to check on the components in the power supply side. You also need to know that a shorted component in the inverter board also could cause the power to blink.

7. FEJI

October 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm

does the 24v det. has an automatic voltage, i checked from 24v det but only 6v is the available voltage, but the other 24v connection is stable

October 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Hi Feji,

I'm referring to all the output voltages. Ok what about voltages that go into the ICs in the mainboard? Are they stable and fluctuate?

8. FEJI

October 17, 2012 at 8:01 am

all stable sir .. thanks a lot

god bless more power

October 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Hi Feji,

What was the solution?

9. christopher

October 21, 2012 at 6:56 am

Hi Jestine,
    I always enjoy seeing your latest troubleshooting techniques. On my own i have loved electronics so much authogh i did an electrical course. Jestine i would like to  know more about repair works on electronic appliances like DVD, TV etc. The first one should be the TV, because i do try repairing. I would like to have clear explanation and block understanding how the power flows and what components does all sound and picture issues, how the signal is interpretend on the board to give out a lot of things.

October 21, 2012 at 9:37 am

Hi Christopher,

Usually this kind of information can be found in the service manual. Try visit eserviceinfo.com to download some of the LCD TV service manual (not schematic diagram).

10. FEJI

October 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

i found loose connection from power supply board  going to main board  and thanks again for help.. god bless

11. aria

November 3, 2012 at 4:20 am

good blog jestine thanks

12. prosper komba

November 7, 2012 at 7:26 am

Hi! my question is how capacitor and diode works when are paralled together i ve' seen this from certain
    switch mode power supply .sorry i'm student

November 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Hi Prosper,

Could you show to me a photo and a link as I can't give any answer just base on two components connection.

13. Mtessa

November 14, 2012 at 7:05 am

firstly, i have to thank justine for this blog. secondly, for prosper  what i know is this a diode work as a rectrifier and a capacitor (mostly celamic) work as smoothening device, so connecting of diode and capacitor in parellel is used a rectrifier with reduced noise.

November 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hi Mtessa,

For removing the ripple you need an electrolytic capacitor and yes it is connected in parallel.

jestine

14. Sunilkumar KS

November 17, 2012 at 7:40 am

Sir, My remote control switch of brand OUILA (4 way remote) is not working. How to repair this?

November 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Hi Sunilkumar,

Make sure the battery are good and no broken circuit track in the remote circuit board. If all found to be good then it could be the main ic fault and it can't be repaired.

15. MIKE

November 24, 2012 at 9:05 pm

hello mr Yong.
    i know  how to troubleshoot a board with a schematics.Sometime , i received boards with no schematics and full of smd components. tracing them  is very difficult specialially when the board is multilayered. Can you give us some ideas about how to do it. OTHES thing  tracing board is a good way to have experiences in electronics. thanksfor everythingmr YONG.

November 25, 2012 at 7:54 am

Hi Mike,

It would be tough to repair such a board. However if you have two similar boards you can compare it using Huntro Tracker. Otherwise you have to understand each section in the board and start checking the section if you suspect it has problem.

16. chuks

December 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

long time jstine hope ur doing well i lost ur contact but i ve just recoverd it thanks

17. michael chua

January 17, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hi Jestine,
    Do you offer seminars or short courses on electronics, lcd and laptop repairs?

January 18, 2013 at 6:28 am

HI Michael,

I'm offering LCD Monitor course but not laptop. Laptop repair course will be available in few month time. Check out http://www.noahtechelectronicstraining.com

18. Rhett

January 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Hey Justine...good day..just want to inquire the list of all troubleshooting trainings you can conduct (short/long courses)...thanks a lot.

January 19, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Hi Rhett,

Try visit http://www.noahtechelectronicstraining.com. Please email me if you have other question-thanks.

19. reychie

January 25, 2013 at 12:32 am

pls.help me.i have no any cards to make a buy on line. can you send me a address for a shipment? im here in menze p-1a tibal-og santo tomas,davao del norte philippines. im new in t.v. repairing.thank you.

January 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hi Reychie,

May I know what is your question?

20. Mubashir

May 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Evening

Sir I have Gateway VX720 Monitor, there is no sign of picture (blank screen) I have checked voltages on big capacitor voltage present there, I also changed HOT (transistor) but result is same. What to do, please help me.

Mubashir,

May 3, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi Mubashir,

Any dc supply voltaga (B+) to the flyback?

21. leonard williams

May 6, 2013 at 7:37 am

i have a viore 42 inch tv lcd when turn on sound and picture is fine a few minuits after the back light gone out leve the sound I suspect the inverter board which light up the back light do you have any comentmr jestine

May 6, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Hi Leonard,

Check for bulged e-caps in power supply. If one of the high voltage transformer or the backlights have problem then it will develop that kind of symptom you have just described.

22. Mubashir

May 6, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Day

Sir how can I check flyback voltage because I don't have high voltage probe. Is there any other method to check ?

Mubashir,

May 6, 2013 at 8:52 pm

HI Mubashir,

This is the only way to test it because other meters can't test such a high voltage.

23. Kee

May 31, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hi Jestine, ihave used 2 panasonic crt 29" tv and both have pincushion problems within 5 years of use. Sorry to say I will not recommend any Pan.. to my friends! Thanks

June 1, 2013 at 10:16 am

Hi Kee,

Actually any electronic equipment also can breakdown. Even Sony, LG and other brand of Tv could breakdown too. Sometimes a new TV would not even last for more than 3 years.

24. Randy

June 25, 2013 at 2:47 am

Hi Jestine I have a 25inch Upstar LCD TV when turn on power light comes on the screen lights up for about 2 second then screen goes out but power light stay on. I check the voltage to the inverter board and voltage is present.

June 25, 2013 at 9:32 am

Hi Randy,

This could means either one of the backlights have problem or one of the high voltage transformer is bad.

25. Mubashir

June 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Day

I want to ask question that what is the master key to repair any electronics equipment. I want to read all the comments of specific member like Mr. Beh or other persons kindly add this feature in webpage.

Mubashir,

June 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

Hi Mubashir,

The key is you must read a lot and practice it. Know where to find spare parts and active in forum. Sorry I don't have compilation of all comments by Beh.

26. Mubashir

June 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Day

I have oscilloscope of Tektronix 60 Mhz. Is it possible work free of danger in UPS or Inverter to check the voltages.

Mubashir,

June 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

Hi Mubashir,

You need an isolation transformer for protection in every equipment repair.

27. Mubashir

July 9, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Day

Now a days I am learning to repair CFLs. Kindly help me to repair or find quickly bad components or area where is fault exists. In CFL mostly have 13001 or 13005B transistors. I want quickly find the way or test points, where I check with DMM or Oscilloscope. I shall be very thankful to you.

Mubashir,

July 10, 2013 at 10:56 am

Hi Mubashir,

Try check this link:

The main test point is that the inverter IC must have DC supply voltage and waveform at the output.

28. Mubashir

July 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Day

You advised me to purchase isolation transformer. During surfing internet I saw solution of making isolation transformer. It is very simple only purchase two transformer (12V-220V) attach both transformer's 12V side together and isolation transformer is ready. Opposite side of transformers which are 220 Volts. One side use for input 220 volts and other for 220 Volts output.

Mubashir,

July 10, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hi Mubashir,

I knew about this set up anyway thanks for the info. But one must use the right ampere of transformer for their work.

29. Mubashir

July 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Day

Yes 6 Amp transformer mentioned there. In market 8 Amp transformer is available. I think it is best for isolation transformer.

Mubashir,

30. Mubashir

July 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Day

I have tektronix analog oscilloscope. In analog oscilloscope frequency measurement is difficult to read as compare digital oscilloscope. What is the easiest way to calculate / read frequency quickly.

Mubashir,

July 12, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi Mubashir,

It still the digital scope other wise we have to calculate manually.

31. chami

July 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm

DEAR Jestine Yong

i read your LCD Monitor Repair ebook to day, and its really good, i just want to know there an issue in lcd monitor with a negative image what could be the issue.the picture is normal but colors are abnormal
    thanks

July 17, 2013 at 7:54 pm

HI CHAMI,

If the OSD menu is affected then the problem is a bad lcd panel. There could be IC fault in the LCD controller board in the lcd panel.

• chami

July 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm

hi
        the OSD is in good colour full

July 18, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Hi Chami,

If the OSD is not affected then the problem could be in the T-con board, LVDS cable or even mainboard. Try reseat the cable and retest.

32. lotfi

July 30, 2013 at 10:20 am

hi dear yong

i have a problem with an lcd monitor samsung 2030n ...
    all is alright , when i palce it i mean the cable data the screen turn black , when i take it off the screen turn normal ......i try with it but no way ......

July 30, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Hi lotfi,
      It seems that the programs in the MCU/Flash rom already corrupted. Before that make sure all the voltages to the ICs in the mainboard are good and stable.

33. suko winoto

August 25, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I would start like a laserjet printer repair business where I can get the e-book laserjet printer repair if the payment through western union. thank you

August 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

Hi Suko,

Mr William will contact you soon.

34. amzah

August 27, 2013 at 11:40 am

osd menu keep appear on my crt moniter model acer ac713. what cause the problem sir.

August 28, 2013 at 9:04 am

Hi Amzah,
      Either a bad Monitor Cpu or the EEPROM IC have corrupted. Check also for stuck buttons.

35. Mubashir

August 31, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Dear Jesine, Good Day

I want to repair baylan 8 port 10/100 Mbps switch but there is no helpful article found related to this on Internet. I searching data last few weeks. Can you help to find out related information.

Thanks.

Mubashir

September 2, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hi Mubashir,

Sorry I do not have such info.

36. david

October 1, 2013 at 7:09 pm

is there any limit to the size of transformer that a blue ring tester can test .i.e does it only handle small , large single phase three phase im working on a computer monitor which when connected to mains has no supply components have been check only capacitor and transformer left .even fuse is ok

October 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

HI David,

It is means for the consumer electronics switch mode power transformer, B+ coil in Monitor, CRT horizontal yoke coils and also flyback transformer.

37. Mubashir

October 12, 2013 at 1:46 am

Dear Jestine, Good Evening

I have recently purchased second hand Toshiba Tecra M4 laptop. Mostly I am facing booting problem. Redish background in LCD. I google on Internet, there also I found same complaints but hence no solution is available. Some comments on internet was that off the battery from laptop for 30 minutes and then put again it will ON.

Sir whats you say.

Mubashir

Mubashir,

October 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Hi Mubashir,

I suggest that you connect an external monitor to see if the external monitor have reddish display or not. If yes then most probably the GPU IC could have problem. If not then suspect a weak backlight or bad lcd panel.

• Mubashir

October 17, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Evening

I checked on external monitor but there is no display like reddish. That mean ic is good. One thing I observed that output of external display is flickering and showing dim display. But after some time later it was in good condition (Every thing was OK on external LCD, sharp picture). If back light is weak than what I have to do, because new LCD for laptop is quite expensive.

Mubashir

October 18, 2013 at 8:08 am

HI Mubashir,

You got no choice you have to replace the weak backlight.

38. naresh

October 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hi Justine,
    I have some of the other books you have in your website. A bridge between theory and practice.

Another resource…cool explanations.

Practical Electronics for Inventors, Third Edition [ASIN: 0071771336]

October 14, 2013 at 6:04 pm

HI Nareah,

Yes i have seen it but did not buy.

Thanks.

39. Mubashir

October 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Dear Jestine, Good Evening

One thing I want to ask that I am not familiar with SMD components. Recently I have repaired BayLan switches and purchased SMD resistors but still confuse to purchase capacitors because there is no code printed on it. Plz help me that how to measure capacitors value in circuit. Smart tweezer is quite expensive. Is there any substitute/hack which can measure value in circuit like smart tweezer.

Mubashir

October 18, 2013 at 8:09 am

HI Mubashir,

You can get a digital capacitance meter but for accuracy purpose you need to remove it out to check.

40. laura

October 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i ve my electronic camera dropped and i wish to know whether it is worth to get repaired. the lens didnt seem to want to close up or go out. so sigh... plse help. TQ

October 28, 2013 at 9:56 am

Hi Laura,

Camera parts usually hard to find from the market. I suggest that you check with the supplier and see how much they are going to charge you. If reasonable then you can send to them for repair.

41. Agustian Daili

October 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

HI Jestine,

I got HP printer Adaptor from my customer, the sympton is No Power. I found the problem is Power Mosfet STP4NK60ZFB was blown,I tried to find the componen in part Shop but I can't find it.Finnaly I got a similar component STP9NK70ZFP, i've checked the datasheet but the specification slightly different with STP4NK60ZFP.I want to ask you suggestion, is Ok if I used STP9NK70ZFP to repalace STP4NK60ZFP?

Regards

Agustian Daili (Indonesia)

October 28, 2013 at 8:54 pm

HI Augustian,

It is hard to tell because you are using a substitute part number that has different spec. Before you replace make sure all the corresponding components are good. Assuming you want to try it, turn it on and let the adapter run for 15 to 20 minutes and turn the power off. Quickly discharge the big filter cap and touch with your finger to see the replacement is extremely hot or not. It is is warm then you can use it and if it is hot to be touched then you may need to find a replacement.

42. Arthur Ott

November 7, 2013 at 5:54 am

Justin,
    I have a Samsung 2343BWX monitor that has lost its image. Started out as an intermittant problem and now the screen is white. On/Off and Auto are the only controls that work. Auto, cycles to black then returns to a white screen.I have checked all solder connections and plug connection wires, all look good. Cant troubleshoot live without cable extensions as there are cables at both ends and all PCB boards are behind the inverted metal mounting case. A schematic would help? Any suggestions.

November 7, 2013 at 9:16 pm

HI Arthur,

Samsung model is famous for corrupted MCU/Flash rom IC programs. If the picture is totally white then it could be the fault of the lcd panel.

• Arthur Ott

November 8, 2013 at 5:57 am

Jestine,
        Samsung will not supply a schematic.
        Can you suggest a site I could buy the repair manual.

November 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

HI Arthur,

Sorry no info on this. Perhaps you try eserviceinfo.com

43. reza

November 14, 2013 at 1:32 am

hell mr yong
    i glad to meet u
    i like repair electronic very much
    mr yong u are very good repair man.
    i like travel to malaysia and talk whit u f2f.
    i like participate in your class of repair of electronic equipment.
    tank u
    by

November 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

Hi Reza,

You are welcome.

44. Kantaua Itaaka

November 27, 2013 at 6:28 am

Hello Jestine

I have a computer power supply has been blown from a inconsideration as I plug in with a 240v and the power supply voltages switch already on a 110 volt, when I turn on a buff sound comes from a power supply, so could you help me to identify which component has been affected so that I can fix it by myself…i have pictures if you want to prove it

November 27, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hi Kantaua,

I suggest that you check the main fuse or even the varistor.

45. Ashoka

December 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Hi Jestine,
    I'm from sri lanka and I'm planing to come to KL in mid of this month. Where i can get electronic spare parts , measuring instrument etc in KualaLampoore. is there any special super markets for that?
    Ashoka.

December 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Hi Ashoka,

You can go to Pasar road ( Jalan Pasar). The electronic shops are scattered and you need to walk around the area to find those shops. They are mainly located in front of the main road. There are also electronic shops behind the main road.

• Ashoka

December 5, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Thanks Jesting.Is your place close to KL. If so is it ok to 5~10 mts small visit to your place. Can i have your address please .

December 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hi Ashoka,

My place is about 35 to 45 minutes from KL town. When are you coming because I will be on leave for a week holiday starting from 20th this month.

46. ntamba

December 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I like this blog, especially for us who a dream of becoming a tv technician one day.

December 17, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Hi Ntamba,

Thanks.

47. ferdinand

December 18, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I have a hp laser jet pro 400 color printer with the client to forget the pass word I do not know how to Reset all

December 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

HI Ferdinand,

Sorry no info on this.

48. Will

December 31, 2013 at 10:20 am

I have a LCD TV that has motion blur. when ever the picture moves there are trails. I bought a used t-con board and it worked fine for a few hours and then the same problem started again. Is there a different part that failed, or should I suspect the "new" t-con board?

December 31, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Hi Will,

Check to see if the ic as15-u in t-con board get extra hot or not. This ic failed a lot.

49. Lothar

January 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Hello, I have an Electrolux EWF 8576 Front-loading Automatic Washing Machine and the water is not filling fully during both wash and rinse cycles (only about 1/4) so the laundry does not get wet enough to clean or rinse thoroughly. I bought the unit new three years ago and it has always been like this and main water pressure inlet is normal. I cleared the lint drain Could you please advise. TIA.

January 2, 2014 at 8:47 pm

HI lothar,

Sorry i can't provide any info on this because I do not repair washing machine.

50. maurice smith

January 11, 2014 at 2:25 am

sir i need to purchase some of the books can i do it through western union

January 11, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Hi Maurice,

I have sent to you an email about the details.

Thanks.