- Unexpected Shorted Parts In LG LED TV
- How To Repair LED TV Mainboard
- You Will Be Stunned Of What’s Found Inside The TV (No Power Fault)
- Shorted SMD Transistor In LED TV
- Never Saw TV LED Lights Like These
- Simple Way To Repair Color Problem In LED TV
- A LED TV Repair Attempt With A Disappointing Result
- How To Repair No Power Symptom In LED TV
- Dead LED TV restored back to life. Model: Fuji Japan
- 50″ LED TV Display Problem Repaired
Philips Cassette Deck AW529 restored
I got this Philips Cassette Deck model AW529 with a complaint that the tape gets stuck, wobbling noise etc. I opened the cover and did a general cleaning as usual. Replaced the belt as it was found worn out and loose. When I played a cassette, noticed that the tape was sliding to the sides. On further inspection at the spot where the tape gets pressed onto the capstan wheel shaft, I could see that the tape is sliding out zig zag. Switched off the set. Then I checked the pinch roller assembly. Found it is shaking! Something we can never expect to happen. On questioning the customer, learnt that he had tried to correct the problem by applying excessive pressure there, which has caused this shake!
So, dismantled the mechanism unit, and dismantled the mechanism, by carefully removing the screws, springs and levers, one by one. For those of you, who might find it useful, I am giving the pictures below. The second picture shows the shaft of the pinch roller in focus.
I used a higher watt soldering iron and soldered the shaft at the rear and checked and found that it was not shaking. With a file and pen knife, I removed the excess solders and made it minimum that was necessary to hold it (Second picture below):
I assembled the mechanism back, and gave power supply to the motor externally and tried running a tape. But the solder was not holding the shaft and it started shaking, as the pressure by pinch roller was too much on it.So, dismantled the mechanism once again, scraped the solder off (third picture below, highlighted).
Took the bare mechanism to a lathe shop, who did a spot welding at the rear, ensuring the proper balance of the shaft. Brought back, and then filed the protruding welded spot, so that the lever of ‘pause’ button slides smoothly over it. Reassembled the mechanism, and run a tape once again. It was working perfectly! So, refit the mechanism unit to the deck and connected the head and checked, and found that the play was a bit slow.
So,adjusted the speed of the motor, by readjusting the pot inside the motor, located at the rear. It was working well! Ran the tape up and down for any flutter or slips. No problem at all. Lubricated the controls and record switches. Fitted the cabinet and front panel of the tech mechanism. Retested it and found it to be working very well! Another job completed satisfactorily!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 66 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antiques equipment Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest techs classes conduct by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He was a BBA graduate, retired as MD of a USA company.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: