- Never Saw TV LED Lights Like These
- Simple Way To Repair Color Problem In LED TV
- A LED TV Repair Attempt With A Disappointing Result
- How To Repair No Power Symptom In LED TV
- Dead LED TV restored back to life. Model: Fuji Japan
- 50″ LED TV Display Problem Repaired
- LED TV That I’m Not Able To Repair
- Shorted LED Lights In An LED TV Repaired. Model LG
- LED TV T-Con Board Problem
- 471k MOV Cracked In LED TV Repaired
Servicing Philips PET816/98 DVD Player
This DVD player along with AC Adapter was brought to me with the complaint that it stops after working for a few minutes. The customer also informed me that it has been lying in this condition for a long time, as he could not get time to bring it to me. I connected the Adapter and switched on the set. The Adapter came on and became dead. I connected an external DC to the DVD player and checked. The display showed ‘QUVRIR’, perhaps in French and when I checked online, the translation was ‘To Open’ or ‘Open’! Since the customer did not bring the remote and the menu button did not respond, I could not change the language to English!
So, I opened the AC Adapter first. I saw the fuse was intact. The DC was present across the 22mfd/450V capacitor. But there was no output. Placed the probe of my Oscilloscope on the SMPS transformer, by giving its ground to the primary (hot area) ground, as suggested by Jestine Yong in his SMPS repair book. Noticed that there was no oscillation. So, discharged the high voltage capacitor, and checked its ESR and found it was zero! Replaced the same along with the 22mfd/50V in the primary section and two 330mfd/25V in the secondary section. Switched on. No pulsation at all! Removed the FET FS3KM and checked it in my Peak Atlas and noticed that it was defective. Replaced it with FET FS5KM. Switched on and I got 9V, as written on the Adapter. I have not taken the snaps and other details, as these have already been repeated several times in this forum. The FET in this adapter was driven by two transistors.
I turned my attention to the DVD Player. Opened it up and noticed that it had collected a lot of dust and dirt inside. Cleaned it thoroughly. Removed the PCBs.
Noticed that the push to on switch of the lid, which is on the PCB, is open. As getting a replacement of such a tiny switch is impossible and removing this from the double sided PCB (especially with closely populated other small SMD components) will also be a tough job, I shorted the switch:
Then, removed the ribbon cable of eye unit (both ends) and cleaned it thoroughly. Re-touched a few dry solder joints. Cleaned and lubricated other connectors. Cleaned the Lens (eye unit). Fit everything back and checked. The set worked, but there were jerks while it played. So cleaned and applied silicon grease on the two rods on which the eye unit moves. The set was then working well:
You will notice that the Player has one Battery Pack-up also, which was rated for 3.9Vx2. The battery was ok. Charging was also ok.
So, fit the set back and re-checked. It worked well for many hours without any hitch:
Another job done satisfactorily!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 66 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antiques equipment Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest techs classes conduct by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He was a BBA graduate, retired as MD of a USA company.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: