Servicing Yamaha TC520 Tape Deck

By on September 11, 2018
yamaha tape deck service ad repair

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This Yamaha TV520 tape deck was brought to me with the complaint that the play does not work. As in practice, I opened the set and cleaned it thoroughly. Checked and found that the belt was loose.   Replaced the two belts, one that of Counter and another that of RW/FF.

yamaha tape deck service

The capstan belt was loose too. As the size of the belt was not standard and I had no stock of it, I cut the belt and removed a small piece, and bonded it together using Superglue instant adhesive.




This was possible, as the belt was good otherwise.    repair yamaha tape deck

Placed a wide rubber band on the two play wheels instead of tape and played the mechanism to check whether it was running properly. In this mechanism, if either of the wheels does not turn, it goes to auto stop mode. To thwart this only, I used this trick.

   fix yamaha tape deck

As the headphone socket was converted as a nest by that customer-friendly wasp, I cleaned it and checked recording without putting any cassette.




 

It was found ok.

     repair and service yamaha tape deck

Loaded cassette and checked play and another recording cassette and everything were found to be working very well.

belting in yamaha tape deck

Another job completed satisfactorily.

This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 69 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.




Please give a support by clicking  on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.

P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!

You may check on his previous repair article below:

http://jestineyong.com/do-it-yourselves-diy-ac-extension-box/

 

Likes(50)Dislikes(0)

7 Comments

  1. Albert van Bemmelen

    September 11, 2018 at 6:42 pm

    Always learning new Audio stuff from you. Never knew it is possible to glue together a rubber capstan belt. I mean I know we can glue it together but didn't know it still would play and run without giving any wrong audio consequences.

    Likes(2)Dislikes(0)
    • Parasuraman S

      September 12, 2018 at 7:35 pm

      I have done this many times, and shared in this forum too, in the past. It works just fine for years! In fact I had even explained in one of my Tape Deck services that the Super Glue melts the surfaces and joins. That's why it stays without getting cut. Whereas, Fevibond would not work, as it only sticks because of the gum. Moreover, it might form a lump. But Superglue will not, if handled carefully. This sticking of Belt requires some amount of experience. We need to practice on a few, before we can venture on it.

      Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
      • Albert van Bemmelen

        September 13, 2018 at 5:58 pm

        Understood Parasuraman! Thanks, I remembered that you had commented before on gluing belts but I never tried it myself. Also because there are too many different sorts of Super Glue that make it harder to find the right one too. And in order to glue belts together they also need to be longer than the original belt to overlap each other and the rubber must still be in good condition. But most of the times the original rubber of the belt is just gone. Recently I tried to fix an old Wangtek rubber wheel that runs the tapes by removing the completely deteriorated original wheel and took the wheel from another old Wangtek Tapestreamer that was still good. But in a few days after the fix the replacement rubber had turned into sticky oil inside the tray. These rubber parts become completely instable after 30 years or so. And on top of that also the original Everex EV-811 rev.B ISA Tapestreamer driver card became invisible to my old Windows Desktop PC. Four Pals (3 x 16L8 and 1 20x10) on the ISA card must have lost their firmware after 30 years too. I tried to read the 16L8 PAL's with my special made PALdumper adapter but 2 of them gave verify errors. The other 2 including the 20x10 were still fine! So I gave up on the device and my 30 or so tapes. Too much parts failed to recover the device!

        Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
        • Parasuraman S

          September 15, 2018 at 9:33 pm

          You have got it wrong there. The two ends of the cut belt should never be stuck on top another. This will make a lump on the belt which will produce wobbling sound while playing and recording. Both ends should be kept just touching each other as close as possible, but not to cause a bend. Then apply one drop of superglue. That's all! It will bond the two ends and will not come off!

          Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  2. Andre Gopee

    September 11, 2018 at 9:06 pm

    Nice Job Mr. Parasuraman. its good to see one of these old players brought back to life. Thanks for sharing.

    Likes(1)Dislikes(1)
  3. Justice

    September 11, 2018 at 9:11 pm

    Excellent work, thanks Parasuraman.

    Likes(1)Dislikes(0)
  4. Robert Calk Jr.

    September 11, 2018 at 11:13 pm

    Good job, Parasuraman. Another device saved from the garbage.

    Likes(2)Dislikes(0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.