- Unexpected Shorted Parts In LG LED TV
- How To Repair LED TV Mainboard
- You Will Be Stunned Of What’s Found Inside The TV (No Power Fault)
- Shorted SMD Transistor In LED TV
- Never Saw TV LED Lights Like These
- Simple Way To Repair Color Problem In LED TV
- A LED TV Repair Attempt With A Disappointing Result
- How To Repair No Power Symptom In LED TV
- Dead LED TV restored back to life. Model: Fuji Japan
- 50″ LED TV Display Problem Repaired
Top 5 Reasons Why Power ICs Get Shorted or Burnt
If you are a seasoned electronic repairer, I’m sure you have came across before a shorted and burnt power IC. Here are the top 5 reasons why power ICs can go shorted or burnt:
1) Power surge- A power surge is basically a spike in your home’s electrical current. The spike is very brief, usually lasting less than a thousandth of a second, but it can still cause severe damage to the power section (which includes the power IC) of an equipment or even your household appliances. One of the most common sources of power surge is lightning.
2) Quality/design of the IC used- There are many maker, quality/design of power IC used in the market nowadays. Those good old days, we could easily recognize from which manufacturers the ICs were made. But now, it is hard to know the manufacturer unless we search for the IC datasheet. Generally a good maker with top quality/design of power IC used has a great impact on the health of the power supplies.
3) Design Problem- In certain power supplies designs, the power section are very robust and rarely have problem. The protection circuit seems to be able to detect a short circuit and shutdown the power supply thus saving the power supply from destruction. However, in some other designs of power supplies, the power section components seem to be easily blown when there is a short circuit either in the secondary side or the load.
4) Bad corresponding components- For example, if the power FET is shorted, most of the time the power IC could be shorted too. It is advisable to replace the power IC if you found the power FET is shorted.
5) Dry Joints- Do not overlook this as dry joints could cause the power section to blow. I have seen main filter capacitor and even the power FET legs had dry joints. The dry joint could cause a prolong intermittent slight arc and eventually causing the FET to get shorted and the power IC will be gone too.
Other factors- Moisture, human error (Coke/Coffee accidentally poured onto the power supply) and lizard could cause the power section to blow also.
Check out how severe the power supply is, caused by lizards:
If you have other reasons why the power IC can get shorted or blow kindly leave a comment below-thanks.
This article is brought to you by Jestine Yong
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S- Do you know of any your friends who would benefit from this content that you are reading now? If so, forward this website to your friends or you can invite your friends to subscribe to my newsletter for free in this Link.