Backlight Replacement In Sony Bravia LED TV MODEL W60B
As I forgot to click the backside plate and front side view when the TV was not working, I am sorry I could not share these snaps as per my usual practice in an article. My apologies!
This TV was brought to me with the complaint that there was no display on the TV and it was taken for repair three times, but display failed within a few hours of working. When I switched on, I saw the TV was blinking six times. Backlight was the issue as per Sony blinking codes. Well, this was lying in one corner, as I was busy with a lot of personal work due to my wife’s hospitalization and my two sons, along with their family came in to stay with me. I had only very little time to just grab some sets whatever quickly I could do and finish. Sets kept on coming and at a time, my backlog was as high as 40 – 50 sets of different types of audio and video. Since this customer had already one TV in working condition, there was no hurry. That TV was also repaired by me long back.
Finally, when the clouds got cleared from the home sky, I loaded around six TV sets in my car and went to one of my technician friend’s shop, around 35 KM away from my home. After spending almost 12 hours in his shop, I could get two of the TVs repaired, which included opening three sets, fetching the backlight for this TV, having lunch and snacks. One was this Sony set. OK, having told the story let us now look what are the things we did to replace the backlight.
First the back cover was opened and a test on the backlight was performed by my friend. He found that the backlight was defective. To access the backlight, we need to remove the boards, the panel; i.e. strip the entire TV apart. Once the backlight is visible, we have to remove the locking clips of the reflector. It was easy in this as it had straight clips. If these were of sliding type with locks underneath, be sure of seeing many breaks in the process. Even then, one of the clips was missing, probably not put back by the previous technician. Then each strip was tested by my friend and found that one or more LEDs in every strip, A & B type, were out. We also found that the previous technician had replaced only the burnt LEDs, which brought imbalance in current flow that caused further failure. The LEDs of same batch and voltages are preferred and what we get from market might not match. He had patched up the strips so clumsily too! The variation in gap of the light might also affect the focus, as these are designed with maximum perfection.
The replacement was fetched from a shop situated around 10 KMs away. We too had lunch after that and returned back to continue with the work. After checking the voltages of each new strip in the LED Tester, which showed 30V, and ensuring that there were no manufacturing defects, the new strips were replaced in the places from where old LED strips were removed and scraped clean.
Then my friend reassembled the TV: Fixed the reflector and its holding clips, placed the sheets on top of that and finally the panel was moved very carefully holding at the sides and supporting in the centre and placed on top of that. Then the side clips were pressed onto its place.
Frame was fixed with its screws around. Then it was kept facing down. Boards were placed back, and just two screws were fixed to hold it in place and to avoid accidental slipping off causing damages to board and other parts. The scaler board was connected to the LVDS cable. After rechecking everything, he applied power. The display came on the TV, bringing smiles on two faces (for a change this time! LOL). We noticed a strain in the mid top of the screen and very thin lines horizontally and vertically touching that spot. It showed a bad handling of the TV by someone before. Probably finger would have got pressed on that spot. Anyhow, I took snap of that too and informed the customer, who was good enough to understand it.
After fixing the boards firmly, and fixing the back cover, we left the TV running and set our hands on the next one. I returned home in the night and allowed this TV and one more, which I brought with me to run for hours in the next day morning. Both TVs were delivered to the customers, adding satisfaction to my bag. (An article on the other TV is in the making)
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 71 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: