Defective Motor Found In Nais Massager EV297
This Nais Massager EV207 was brought to me by my close friend, with the complaint that it was dead and has been lying unused for a very long time. On checking its external adapter, I found that it was working. I opened the set and did not find any dust or dirt inside it, except the battery leakages. Have a look at the snaps taken:
So, desoldered the wires and cleaned the PCB thoroughly. The battery was completely dead and found to have leaked its ‘juice’! After that I applied power only to the motor to check whether it was rotating. It was dead. So opened the head and removed the motor for checkup.
There was no continuity, indicating that either the contacts are bad or coil was open. I pried open the bottom of the motor to look into. One of the contacts had broken off and fallen down inside the motor.
What I did was removing the broken stub from its housing, cleaning it thoroughly and scraping it to enable soldering. Scraped the end of the broken piece also well for this purpose. Then fixed it back, kept the broken piece in position, applied Fevibond and after it dried a bit, applied Superglue over it and allowed it to get fixed properly. Then scraping once again, soldered the joints very well so that it had bonded well. Applied a bit of Fevibond on top of it so that it stays protected and in place. Put the armature back inside, inserting a tweezer through the bottom plate holes (meant for this purpose, while assembling) to keep away the contacts and avoid its getting jammed or damaged by the armature.
Fixed the bottom cover and applied power. It worked very well! Unfortunately, I forgot to click these very interesting stages. Fixed the motor back in its hood. Applied power and found it was vibrating like thunder! Turned my attention to the board. Checked and found that all components were ok, except the switch. Luckily, this switch had screws underneath. So opened it. Just see the amount of leakage of battery that had gone into it:
Cleaned it thoroughly in the wash basin, using detergent powder and water. Dried it using Hair Drier. Cleaned it further using spirit. Cleaned and scraped the contacts very well. Fixed it back and found it was working perfectly, when checked in Analogue Multimeter.
Got a replacement for the battery and connected the PCB back to its original condition. Applied power and found it to be charging and massager functional.
Here, you can have a look at this after finishing the work:
Another excellent job done and saved it to my satisfaction bag!
My friend was very happy that he could get it working again. As I had bought the battery on his account, I treated this as a ‘gift’ service!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 69 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: