DENON DBT-1713UD BLU RAY PLAYER- Power Supply Problem Rectified
With the refreshing mind to repair stuff, I got this Denon DBT-1713UD which could not power up. (understand the brand new unit was being sold at about US$500 a few years back).
With a hope to apply my troubleshooting techniques learnt from Mr. Jestine’s class,
1. I opened up the unit and found the boards are very clean without any visible burnt marks, bulging caps etc on the SMPS board. Checked the fuse and found it to be in good order.
2. Removed the SMPS board and had a general look first on both sides. Connected the power supply to the SMPS and checked the voltage at main filter cap and final output terminals first.
The voltage on main filter cap terminals was good but the voltages at output terminals were not in order.
3. Before proceeding checking other components, had a close look at the back of the board and found that a little discoloration (which was not so visible during general look) in way of fast recovery and transient suppression voltage diodes.
Suspected to be faulty, checked both the diodes using DMM and found to be shorted.
4. After replacing the two diodes, Conducted voltage checks and found them to be in order. Hooked it back and switched ON the power. Wow! Power is back.
5. Played a blu ray disc and found both video and audio are working fine.
Wow!!!. The blu ray player is working flawlessly. I am so happy that I am able to apply my learnings on SMPS repairs from Mr. Jestine’s class.
Thanks much Mr Jestine. You are The Great Guru.
This article was prepared and shared by Raj, an electronics hobbyist from Singapore. He has done Masters in Industrial Safety Engineering and Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Currently, he is working as a Safety Professional in Singapore. Although he is with mechanical background, his hobby is on consumer electronics stuffs especially on home theatre systems, amplifiers and speakers.
P.S- Do you know of any your friends who would benefit from this content that you are reading now? If so, forward this website to your friends or you can invite your friends to subscribe to my newsletter for free in this Link.