E03 Error In Butterfly Premium Induction Cooker
Those of you who have not read my earlier article on the same Induction Cooker may please read it here, to know the history: https://jestineyong.com/induction-cooker-repair/
After its first visit in June, 2016, it visited my workshop once again in March, 2017, when the button switches became defective. I replaced these and gave it back. It visited again in June, 2019 with the complaint E 03 error. The E 03 error in Butterfly Induction Cooker is an indication that all is not well with its power supply. So, I opened the cooker and cleaned the red sand dust (this is regularly the case with this cooker, indicating that the customer is staying near to a busy mud road!) and brought it to my work table.
Disconnected the coil and desoldered the IGBT. Connected the power and switched on and checked the primary voltages required for the SMPS functioning. Noticed that the 18V required for fan was dropping to 9V and the 5V required for the uController was dropping to almost half. This was happening only when the fan was running. Looked for any dry solder and did not find any. The ESRs of the capacitors were ok.
Since the Fan looked like taking more current than it should (around 400 mA in place of around 200 to 220 mA) I replaced it and tried. Result was same. Knowing the failure of components on load, I replaced the two UF4007 ultrafast rectifier diodes on the secondary side of the SMPS. Replaced the 78L05 regulator, S8050 transistor that controls the Fan. But result was same. Then I decided to replace the PWM, which was Viper12A, 8-PIN IC. After replacing the IC, the voltages were perfect. Checked for any more defective components. Could not find any. Re-soldered the IGBT, connected the coil and just kept the top without putting the screws and tried, keeping the control panel outside. It worked very well: (It seemed that the defective fan which drew almost double the current and caused failure of the PWM)
The earlier mistake done cautioned me this time and I did not keep this on top of my IC (Induction Cooker – not that IC we are used to!) in the kitchen. So, saved my IC’s IGBT from blowing!
Disconnected and waited for the temperature to be normal, fixed the panel, assembled the IC back and fixed the screws. Tried again three times for our usual use in the kitchen and found it to be working fine.
I forgot to click the defective components except the fan:
Thus, the ‘satisfaction’ from the same device jumped into the bag for the third time, without any hesitation!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 69 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: