Fixed A Broken BPL-SANYO Vacuum Cleaner
MAKE AND MODEL: BPL-Sanyo Vacuum Cleaner model BSC2002
COMPLAINT: Dropped from a height of about 6 feet and the cabinet case broken inside and outside.
HISTORY: This is a Vacuum Cleaner bought by me in the year 1992 at staff rate, when I was working in BPL. It has been in extensive use without any problem not only for cleaning the house but also the electronic devices that had to be repaired. Unfortunately I dropped it when I was removing it from top of an Almirah, where it is stored. Heard a lot of loose particles inside when I lifted it and heaved a sigh of disappointment for having spoiled it due to my carelessness! In fact I wanted to use it to clean my service room, from where I had moved many things out for a thorough cleaning! What a sad thing to happen at a crucial time when it was required! I did not want to try switching it on in this condition for fear of causing damage to the rotor, motor or more to the cabinet itself.
WORK DONE TO FIX IT: Opened it and removed all the broken plastic parts from inside. The motor had got completely dislodged from its fixing grooves, as these were also broken. The motor had two metal brackets in the front and rear. Before I planned to fix it back, I powered the motor and found it to be in working condition. That was a solace to proceed with the fixing. Carefully removed the screws from the broken legs, marking its location for easy fixing. This motor has to be fixed in such a way that the front side is tight on its rubber washer so as to ensure that the sucked air is concentrating on its vent in the center. The rear metal bracket seats itself tightly on the side grooves. Even the front cabinet had developed cracks on the sides. Having opened it, I also cleaned the dust collecting cloth in the front. The front and rear portion is click locked on a rubber washer so as to make it airtight. Unfortunately, that was also not possible, because of the damages. The work altogether looked very complicated and complex! But I had no other go except to fix it somehow because of the dare need! In any such work, the best way always is to start the work and some inborn guide will take us through because of our genuine intentions. So, I fixed the legs one by one by applying Superglue followed by Fevibond. After fixing all the legs of the screws, I inserted cut leads of components slightly bending both ends. Such leads were fixed on four to five sides of each leg, with a hot soldering iron, embedding each deep inside to provide strong support, but ensuring that it does not cause obstructions to the screw hole inside.
Thus the legs were made strong enough to hold the top cabinet and weight of the motor. Then fixed the rear seats of the motor by fixing plastic cut pieces similarly and shaped it with a knife to make it a proper seating for the motor after several attempts. After the motor got fixed in its place properly and tight enough, I inserted a dome of the LED bulb from my plastic junk, in between the rear of the motor and wire collecting large wheel, which had round covers on both sides, ensuring that the motor would stay put without any shake or vibration. The cable collection unit was spring loaded so as to retract the cable with a press to release lock provided on the top. Then fixed the sides of the front portion similarly, and also inserted leads in several places so that these hold together without any leak. Then fixed the front portion of the cabinet (the suction unit) with a plastic tape ensuring that the joint is firm and there is no air leak. Did the same on the sides, where it had cracks. Switched on and found it to be in perfect working condition and found that the suction was strong enough. Did not bother to make the rear portion air leak proof, as I never used this as a blower. I have a good and powerful blower for cleaning dust especially for use in servicing. Then fixed the screws and
finished another ever satisfying job which looked almost impossible when I first saw it! Lesson learnt: Never give up, until succeeded!
Here are some pictures, though I could not cover the entire operation:
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 70 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: