Don't Miss

High Tension Or High Voltage?

By on February 21, 2009


Have you heard of any of your repair friends that says there is no high tension in the Monitor/TV? Some of my repair friends refers the flyback transformer section as High tension section while to some they just called it as High voltage section. So which one should you use, high tension or high voltage? Actually for those who are a seasoned electronic repairer whenever someone say high tension or high voltage, you will automatically know that they was referring to the flyback transformer area/section.

If you are new in this repair field i guess you stick to high voltage section-why?  According to the Stan Gibilisco Electronics Dictionary Boo, high tension means “Pertaining to utility power-transmission lines on which there are very high voltages, typically 100 kilovolts (100 kv) or more” while the meaning of high voltage ” In a cathode ray tube, the voltage that accelerates the beam electrons

Since the high voltage produced by the flyback transformer is only about 24 Kv (less than 100 Kv) then the best word to describe about the flyback transformer area is the “High Voltage“.



  1. Cláudio Nunes Pereira

    October 10, 2010 at 8:30 pm


    I found your post in the internet. I am looking for a high voltage (29 kv). I would like to know how I can change the flyback transformer of a CRT tube to this voltage. Any advive about the circuits would be welcome. And some advice of good CRT tube for doing that.


  2. admin

    October 11, 2010 at 3:40 am

    HI Claudio,

    Do you mean you want to change the CRT 24 kv to become 29 kv?



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.