Rusted And Almost Ruined STAR Induction Cooker Revived Successfully
I take great pride in submitting this article in front of the always encouraging experts in the forum, because of the exhaustive work done in reviving this Induction cooker, which was found almost ruined due to rust and cockroach infestation. Why this pride, you might ask! It is because it belonged to my neighbour, who had bought our land and settled here almost fifty years back. He is a very good friend in need, very helpful and he does a lot of social service. Unfortunately he lost his wife a couple of months back! So, when an opportunity such as this came up, I was almost thrillingly determined to do my best! Hope I am justified in my claim! (LOL)
This cooker was kept in the attic unused for a prolonged time, which was taken out for use and found to be ‘dead!’ It was brought to me by the customer’s brother. I opened the Induction Cooker in front of him, and showed the condition inside and told him that I would do my best to revive it, and bought time to do the job. I am deliberately skipping snaps of the nasty scenes inside, as it was too disgusting. Cleaned up the inside of cover and case and then the boards thoroughly, using brush and blower. I could not find any living cockroaches inside, though there were eggs aplenty! The fan was stuck due to rust and my efforts later to lubricate and rotate it failed. I removed the socket of the program IC, which had fungus formations, and the touch springs, which were rusted at the bottom and kept it dipped in Turpentine. Let us now have a look at the damages it did. I am not covering the entire boards for cutting short the snaps in the article:
Then removed almost all the components, including the jumper wires, after counter checking the values written on the board. Observed that a jumper was used in place of a 10K resistor marked on the board. 10UF/400V had the marking as 4.7uF/400V on the board. I stripped the control panel PCB leaving only the LEDs, which were found to be ok. The LED segment display, as you can see from the picture above, had its legs rusted. The marking of 1M resistor was also wrong, as 2.2M resistors were used in its place all over the control panel.
That’s why I always counter check these while removing. The value of 2uF/250V AC was found to be very less on checking. After thoroughly cleaning the PCBs using IPA, I replaced all the transistors, resistors, diodes, 78L05 IC, Viper12A. I provided sockets for Viper12A and two ICs on the control panel. Cleaned the legs of the three old ICs used and made it shine. The 24pin socket of the program IC was cleaned thoroughly using metal brush, as a replacement was not available. It took several hours of sitting for 3 days.
After this, I lubricated the connectors and temporarily assembled the unit for checking functioning. I was glad to see life in the Induction Cooker.
Then boiled a glass of water. Used the cooker at different times and found it to be working just fine!
Here are the pictures of defective/rusted parts replaced. Some of the jumper wires were rusted to powder!
Thus curtain fell on this real story, and intense satisfaction got added to its collection bag!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 72 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: