Rusted Bearing Found In CREATIONSPACE Precision Screwdriver JPJ1802A
This is a good precision screwdriver which I bought long back and was out of use for some months. When I tried to use it one day, it did not work though the LED light in the front lit but became dim, though I had charged it fully before put to use. This called for internal investigation and that’s how I learnt how to open it and service it.
After looking around and finding no visible screws, I pulled out the +/- knob on its side (for running the motor clockwise and anticlockwise as desired). I was glad to see a single screw under it.
After removing the screw, I pushed one end, where charger was getting connected, when the battery charging unit along with the battery came out. This was housed in a round case and following picture is after I opened it.
Then I pried open the transparent round LED cover that spreads the light evenly. Then pushed that portion out. Both the above two units came out very easily. The motor was housed in another round case with its own control circuit. I opened it and dismantled the whole unit: (Please use control and upward arrow to zoom and see)
As you can see from the picture, the motor has a bearing unit in its front. The positive rail of the board comes in contact with the battery plus when we put the screw. That portion was also found rusted and I cleaned it thoroughly using CRC 2-26. I opened the front side of the motor and dismantled the bearing. The bearing had six pins (rollers). There was rust formation inside. I applied CRC 2-26 liberally keeping these on the table:
Then cleaned inside thoroughly and applied silicon grease and put these back. The motor had gear mechanism inside. The wheels were made of steel and there was no rust in them. I applied DC directly to the control unit and checked and found these to be moving freely. Nevertheless, I applied silicon grease in that portion also. I ran the motor back and forth after fixing its bearings and found it to be running smoothly.
So fixed it back on its case and pushed it in and fixed the LED cover in the front. Then put the battery unit back in its case and pushed it in. When the battery plus contact was in proper position making contact with the driver unit, I put the screw and tightened it. A trial run showed it was in good working condition. I put the unit for charging. After the battery reaches the charging level, slowly the LED lights start turning to blue in blinking mode and becomes fully blue and remains constant. A good system, I can say! The following snap is when it was just blinking from white to blue indicating that the battery was getting full:
Mission accomplished with double satisfaction as I could continue to use this lovely screwdriver, which was having a good power in. Over all I was fully satisfied about the quality of workmanship and the parts used. They were sturdy and of good design; very easy to open, disassemble and assemble. This is a very good tool to open small devices such as mobile phones etc.
Needless to say that the satisfaction found its comrades within the bag!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 72 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous article on Open SMPS Transformer Hand-Wound In Mobile Charger TC-70