Servicing Frontech Multimedia Speakers
This belonged to my son living at Bangalore. The complaint was brought to my attention during one of my visits, that there was no output. I have the habit of buying and storing the minimum tools required for servicing in almost every relatives’ house, as one thing or other might be defective during my visits and I wanted to make my time fully utilized by the hosts. I carry all the special instruments and special tools required for intricate jobs during my tours.
I have the habit of making a service camp too, occasionally, in places like Chennai, where more number of my relatives are living. I spend around a week or more doing service there, keeping my base in my elder brother’s home, as he himself is an electronic stalwart and has all required tools and instruments for service, but does not do much because of age factor.
I believe that our talents and skills should be thrown open to our own family members, as ‘charity begins at home’ is what the old adage puts it! Life is not for making money alone, pleasure seeking alone; it is meant for doing what best each one of us can do to others, to our country, to this world! Another thing what we need to do is share our knowledge and experience with others. That’s why I put so many efforts in writing these articles! Donating knowledge to others is the most important in various known deeds!
Ok, ok, enough with my trumpet, let us get to the service side of the unit! I turned one of the study tables of my grandchildren, as service table. Used a filled stainless steel water jug as solder stand (you can see it in the background of second picture above) and such some ‘make shift’ arrangements to ease my trouble shooting.
I opened the set and did a general cleaning. There was not much dust inside it. Removing the PCB is a tricky thing, as we need to pull off the silver panel, unscrew the holding nut of volume control and remove holding screws and take it out.
Checked and found that the EP pin was open inside; the real cause for ‘no output’! Replaced the pin, fetching it from a local market and did a thorough dry solder patch up and checked ESR values of capacitors.
Found these to be out of range and replaced all that. Checked and found the unit working very well.
Added one more satisfying job to the already bulging list!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 69 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: