Don't Miss

Substitute A Non Polar Electrolytic Capacitor With A Non Polar Capacitor

By on November 3, 2009

A non polarity electrolytic capacitor can be found in Monitor circuit board. The problem is, if it has problem, you will have difficulty to locate the part from electronics store. The value can be 2.2uf or 3.3 uf with 50V working voltage and have the size of a 2200uf 25 to 35 volt electrolytic capacitor! You can’t replace it with the normal electrolytic capacitor value as it will explode. The normal size for a 2.2 uf and 3.3 uf 50v electrolytic capacitor is just too small and can’t take over the job of a non polarity electrolytic capacitor. If  you really can’t get the replacement, i suggest that you try to use a metallized polyester (non polarity capacitor) as seen from the photo below.

polyester cap



  1. Jimmy Lane

    November 4, 2009 at 2:58 am

    Jestine I have really enjoyed this blog with the daily updates and I have a comment. From working on speakers with nonpolarized caps in the crossover I have made these by connecting the positive ends or negative ends together with a cap value half the original. I was told this makes a nonpolarized cap.

  2. admin

    November 4, 2009 at 8:13 pm

    HI Jimmy,

    Thanks for sharing the tip!


  3. Marcial

    November 6, 2009 at 9:36 am

    Thank you very much for sharing your experties to us, Hoping that you will impart more troybleshooting tips to us.

    GOd bless always sir

  4. Dr. Carlos G. Nierva

    January 20, 2010 at 8:12 am


    How do I replace the electrolytic capacitors with a non-polorized capacitor on my tube receiver? Which side goes to the positive and which side goes to the negative?

    Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon.


  5. admin

    January 20, 2010 at 8:54 am

    HI Dr Carlos,

    The best is to use back the same type of capacitor as certain circuit can't run on different type of capacitor. Capacitors are quite easy to get from the market. Try visit this link:


  6. Zmint

    February 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

    Hellow Jestine,

    I have googled my way here. It will be of great help to me if you please guide me to replace a non-polorized capacitor with a electrolytic capacitors in one of my 230V 50 Hz AC driven Simple 15-20 LED Lamp. I am using a Cap. reactance to limit current. I already got it working with non-polorized cap. 474J 250V(.47 uF or 470nF), but my requirement is a higher volt rating (>400 or 600), which I am unable to lay my hands on. So what value polorized cap connected back to back will do the trick safely. How do we find these these values because, next I am going to need, a substitute for .22 uF >400V.

    Thanks is advance

  7. admin

    February 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

    Hi Zmint,

    Try visit this link:


  8. vincent Ombogo

    July 16, 2010 at 6:24 am

    I have removed a non polar capacitor 10uF,25V and cannot get any to replace it,

    Can i improverse and connect two polarized of 10uf by 50v back to back
    i.e + to + then connect the other pins to the board.

    i removed the spoiled one from an old monitor cct.

    Thanks Justine i have been following your articles closely


  9. admin

    July 16, 2010 at 7:13 am

    Hi Vinnie,

    I suggest that you visit this website:

    for capacitor connected in series and parallel. There must be reason it use the non polar cap. Anyway you can try that and see how it goes since you can't find original value. I suggest that you use non polar cap instead of cap with polarity.


  10. Engr. Jack

    September 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

    Sir how many amperes can it transfer? or how many amperes of load can it bear?
    Please reply me soon sir.

    • Jestine Yong

      September 22, 2012 at 8:49 pm

      Hi Engr,

      It can't be calculate that way you have take the whole complete circuit into consideration and this can only be understood by the designer.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.