Don't Miss


The Effect Of Lightning Strike

By on July 25, 2008

Do you know that lightning problem can be so destructive to any electronic equipment? Many years back, my house got a lightning strike and it caused severe problem to my 29″ Panasonic CRT Television and burned up the telephone cable and my computer network card. First i thought the Tv problem could just be the fuse or few components shorted but after opening up the cover, do you know what i saw?

lightning struck

Not only the power section totally blown, the tuner and surrounding circuitry as well. To further add salt into injury, many of the tiny circuit tracks came off from the board just like our hair style the moment we wake up in the morning! It it totally beyond repair! The effect of the lightning struck not only killed my tv and the computer network card, it also destroyed my neighbor’s electronic equipment such as Television, Telephone, Dvd Player and Astro Satellite Receiver! The effect was so great and the real life experience had taught me many things about lightning. Remove the electronic equipment plug from your AC socket even though you did not use it. Install a lightning suppressor for some protection. Do not watch Television whenever there is any thunderstorm even though you already have the lightning suppressor (just don’t take risk). What if your TV is a brand new LCD TV and you will be regret if the lightning really strike on your house while you are watching the TV.

One more experience i want to share to you about the lightning strike. There was one day while buying some tools from a hardware shop nearby my office and i saw lightning struck at the nearby field and that time was drizzling. Well i thought it was just a normal lightning strike but after i reached my office, my staff told me the ELCB had tripped! After got the electricity back and try boot our computer systems, i discovered that the backup drive and the support card had problem. It cost us about USD200.00 to get a new one. Hope you now know why a lightning strike can cause so much damage to electronic equipment. In fact you can use my story to explain to your customers how severe it is when any electronic equipment hit by lightning. Otherwise your customers may think that only a fuse blow when their equipment hit by lightning.

Likes(3)Dislikes(0)

5 Comments

  1. M.M Ariffohammmed

    August 3, 2010 at 7:22 am

    Hi and Hello Jestin young,
    Iam your fan.I love my electronic goods servicing,trouble shooting and debugging.when any electronic equipment hit by lightning strike can cause so much damage.How this protect my electronic goods in this Lighting.

    thanx and regards,
    mmdariff

    Likes(1)Dislikes(0)
  2. admin

    August 3, 2010 at 8:56 am

    Hi MM,

    You need a good surge protector.

    Jestine

    Likes(0)Dislikes(2)
  3. Roy obanda

    June 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm

    Hey, thanks alot sorry about your tv set . Thanks you have taught me alot here in kenya we have alot of lightning and i dint know it can cause such damage to electronics . What if i use battery and inverter unplugged and internal antenna ? Will it be safe to watch tv in lightning

    Likes(1)Dislikes(0)
  4. admin

    June 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm

    Hi Roy,

    Yes you can do that but the tv reception will be weak.

    Jestine

    Likes(2)Dislikes(0)
  5. Bulus David

    September 15, 2018 at 4:32 am

    There was a thunderstorm after when I have switched of my Samsung lcd, in the morning I on my tv but it shows me no scart signal, I have not being able to watch my digital tv, but the tv DVD is working please do you have any idea on what I can do.

    Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Free Report