Two SMPS Saved From Dump
These two SMPS units belonged to the hospital where I work. Complaint was both dead! First I checked the AC Adapter and found that the DC wire had got punctured.
Nevertheless, I opened and checked for any defective components and also did a thorough dry solder patch up on the board.
Then cut off the affected portion and joined the wires taking care to isolate joints with heat shrink sleeves and got the desired output on check-up:
Then fixed it back to its case. This work got completed very easily. So, took up the other SMPS, which was already opened and cleaned by my colleague.
I saw that the SMPS had five bulgy capacitors on the secondary.
After replacing the caps and doing a thorough dry solder patch up on the board, when I checked up, the outputs were ok.
I cleaned and lubricated the SMPS fan too.
Here is a picture of the defective as well as other capacitors replaced as a part of routine maintenance:
Mission accomplished and satisfactions got collected to its bag!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 72 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous article on Mr Light Needed A Backlight Fix