Auto Shut Off Problem In WZATCO Projector S02-A Solved
This projector was brought by yet another new customer, who was referred by one of my regulars. The complaint was that it gets shut off automatically after a few minutes of play. When I looked at the fan from outside (see picture two above) itself I knew that it could be due to poor ventilation. I opened and cleaned the inside thoroughly, using brushes in order not to damage any intricate internal parts.
One screw is hidden under the sticker at backside. These are the pictures of the inside, which consists of the main board, the lens, the lamp and reflector on the left side.
The opening sequence is : (1) Remove five screws at the bottom, and peel off the sticker at the bottom, remove that screw, that makes totally six screws, three each on both sides. Remove speaker covers from both sides. These are to be pulled out gently without breaking the plastic locks. Lift the top cover, which holds the control keys and gently lift clip and remove the strip that connects the control panel to the main board. (2) Do the same for the display panel, and lift it out from its slot. Disconnect the Fan and Left/Right speaker connectors
(3) Then unscrew the cover that encases lens and reflectors. Remove the reflector glasses, making sure that they can be kept back in the same way it was inside in order not to upset the original alignment. (4) Unscrew the lens holder and gently remove it from its slot. Now the rear fan (the air sucker) can be easily removed as also the cooling fan for the lamp (See last picture above).
I took out the Fan that sucks in air, which was found clogged.
Cleaned the fan thoroughly using bottle brush and other brushes. Did the same on the other fan also, though it was not as bad as this one. The sucker fan had a filter like that we find in Indoor Air Conditioning Units. That was also clogged with a lot of dust. (Forgot to click these!) That is also fixed like the speaker grill and can be removed from outside for cleaning purposes. Found fine dust collections on the glasses as well lens. Cleaned all these using tissue paper and IPA taking care not to damage the surfaces. Checked for any dry solder on the main board. Did not remove the lamp part or power supply, as it was already found working very well.
So, I left that portion without opening. But did a gentle blow cleaning from outside. Then refit the unit back as how it was before. Powered it up and found it to be working confirming that my meddling with the interiors has not caused any problems! I allowed it to run continuously for about three hours, without a flaw! So closed the case and put the screws, having accomplished the mission and satisfaction got added to its collection!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 72 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous article on Repairing Sony LCD TV With Multiple Vertical Lines Problem