Bad Relay Found In KIA Car (Pride)
This type of Korean cars are running millions in the world. The complaint was the car horn not functioning. I began my search in the web to find the diagram. The diagram made clear that the horn has 6 main components:
- Battery and
- The reference link for diagram or the horn circuit :
First, I tested the Horn, I connected the connector of horn directly with two wires to the poles of the battery of the car. A very loud voice indicate that the horn was good.
Next I tested the fuse of the circuit in fuse box with my own home made fuse tester and the fuse was checked to be good.
NOTE: Due to heavy current that the car battery produce (about 60 AMP) we cannot test the voltage by our conventional multimeters as this can damage the meter.
In order to make the car fuse tester, you need:
- 1 piece of wire length 50 cm no. 2
- A roof lamp of pride 12 volt. top and bottom of this lamp must be metallic for soldering proposes
- 1 wire clip
- A piece of transparent plastic pipe with the length of 10 centimeter as cover of the tester
- A medium size nail as probe of tester
How to use this tester
- Hook the wire clip to the body of the car this could be any good metallic part of the door(body of the car is negative side of the circuit)
- Touch the probe of the tester to each fuse if the lamp turns on this means the fuse is ok if not fuse is blown (each fuse has two side; negative side and positive. If the fuse is not blown, the lamp must light up for two sides otherwise the fuse is blown)
- Also with this tester, you can test the existence of voltages in all the circuits of the car.
The above photo shows that the fuse is ok and no problem in this part of the circuit and also the battery is good. So far all the components according to the circuit are intact and the only thing that is not tested yet is the relay. You can visit the video below on how to use the test light:
Next step I took out the relay (the location of relay is left side of dashboard behind the fuse box).
And conect two wire of power DC supply to the bobine connectors of relay with 12 V DC. If the relay were good the relay must click. No sound from relay means the relay is not working and this relay was silent when the power is applied. I have to mention that two other connectors of relay are switch connectors.
By replacing the bad relay with a good one, the horn of car can be heard loud and clear once it was activated by pressing the center part of the steering. The cost of this repair was just about USD2.00 only. If you want to know more about automobile electronics repair you can click HERE to check out the website.
Note: The horn circuit is belong to the cars with no ECU.
This article was prepared for you by Mr Beh from Iran.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S- If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
Note: You may check out his previous repair articles in the below link: