Mains Cord Was The Culprit In This Philip Radio
MAKE AND MODEL: Philips RL118/00 FM-AM Radio – Thrishul
COMPLAINT REPORTED: Dead
TROUBLESHOOTING AND RECTIFICATION DONE: Opened and cleaned the set thoroughly. Found the mains cord was the culprit. The set was not working from its internal battery, which was found to be totally discharged and leaked. After replacing the mains cord, the set started working. As a preventive maintenance and part of my routine, I did dry solder patch up of the PCB and replaced the nine electrolytic capacitors. Cleaned and replaced the Rechargeable Nickel Cadmium Batteries.
Checked and found that the charger circuit was working and the set worked very well from the battery, without any external electrical disturbances. In fact, the Radio works very well from batteries than mains. After checking it for continuous running without any hitch for many hours, called up customer to come and pick up the Radio. Mission accomplished with satisfaction getting dropped to its collection bag!
HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES:
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 70 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: