Fixing Blue Tooth/USB/FM Module In Sony Component System RV-5
This Sony Component System Model RV-5 was brought by my son for replacing the broken speaker connectors and to add a Bluetooth/USB/FM module on the CD door, as he did not want to have the CD unit restored. (Sorry, I forgot to click the unit before carrying out the modifications!)
I opened the set, subjected it to a thorough cleaning. Removed the back cover, and fan unit to access the speaker connections on the main board. Desoldered and removed the connector. Fixed a four-in-one RC socket at the rear in its place ensuring that the inner portion does not touch the board or any other part nearby. Wired it to the main board. I provided a parallel connection of speakers to the other two RC sockets so that he can use two more speakers, if necessary. As the speaker wires were cut by a rat that managed to get an entry into his apartment, when he was away, I patched-up and joined these and covered it by heat-shrink sleeves. Checked the output selecting the tuner mode and found these to be working very well.
Removed a working Bluetooth/USB/FM module from its case, which I was using for testing Amps, removed the front panel and marked the sizes on the CD front panel. Then used special tools and file to make a suitable hole for fitting the unit from the front. My son helped me shape the hole and he did the major part of the filing job. Fixed it with screws. Then traced the input and power supply points of the connector that comes from the CD Unit. The Bluetooth module had its own 5V regulator to enable external adapter supply.
I traced the CD mute pin of uController and cut the track, upon which the transistor controlling got released from its pull down. Then did a trial run, keeping the unit on the side, picture of which is the first one. It worked very well, except that the mute was getting activated with a pause in between, indicating that the uController was driving the mute through some other section.
Traced it to ‘Line-Mute’, and desoldered one end of the jumper wire, upon which it worked very well. The Tuner and tape modes were also working very well. Every graphic equalizer function also worked very well. So, fixed the front panel of the CD in its place, and soldered the input and power supply wires to the other end of the CD connector. Soldered only the wires required for these on the Board, as can be seen from the pictures given above.
All these were possible mainly because a service manual could be easily downloaded for this model from the net. https://elektrotanya.com/sony_hcd-rv2_rv5_rv6.pdf/download.html
Fit the CD panel in its place, which served as dummy, as the CD Unit behind it was removed permanently. I can perhaps salvage some parts if and when a need arise. Tested the set for hours and ensured trouble free working. My son was very happy (an electronic engineer himself) to have upgraded the good system, which was a gift from my elder brother. I saw him enjoying his favourite songs playing it through Bluetooth from his Mobile and Laptop. Here is a picture of the full system:
Mission accomplished very well and satisfaction got added to its collection!
This article was prepared for you by Parasuraman Subramanian from India. He is 70 years old and has more than 30 years’ experience in handling antique equipment like Valve Radio, Amps, Reel Tape Recorders and currently studying latest tech-classes conducted by Kerala State Electronics Technicians’ Association. He has done graduation in BBA degree, private diploma in Radio Engineering and retired as MD of a USA company. Presently working as Consultant to Hospital and other institutions.
Please give a support by clicking on the social buttons below. Your feedback on the post is welcome. Please leave it in the comments.
P.S-If you enjoyed reading this, click here to subscribe to my blog (free subscription). That way, you’ll never miss a post. You can also forward this website link to your friends and colleagues-thanks!
You may check on his previous repair article below: